Pig – Encore

Welcome back to Artist’s Corner, the bit of my blog in which I pretend that fairly rubbish drawings are actually art.

Lately I’ve been posting the same sort of inept doodles as ever, but with the added twist that my almost-two-year-old daughter had been adding her own unique take using some washable felt-tip pens.

Last week we gave you ‘Pig’, a work that was genuinely described in the comments section as being “structurally simple yet rhythmically balanced” and a “stunning display of technical mastery”.

However, in what is a definite first in this series, Little Proclaims declared herself unhappy with the finished work and yesterday morning she elected to revisit it. I think you’ll agree that her new interpretation reveals an entirely different construal to the piece. But I’ll leave the specifics once again to the comments section. For now, please enjoy “Pig – Encore”

pig2

22 comments for “Pig – Encore

1. July 23, 2020 at 5:52 am

If the artiste is not pleased there is nothing wrong with Pig 1 becoming Pig 2. The need to re-articulate the vision, to find the real truth, to redress the perceived disappointment has led to a quite precocious re-rendering of the subject.
    Never take second best! Don’t be bogged down by darkness and failures, bright-eyed one. Look to the stys! One hopes this does not make for a pre-school primma donna. Yet the true prodigy must not be restrained.

• July 23, 2020 at 10:53 am

I’m not entirely sure that this prodigy could be restrained…

• July 23, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Ah yes, that boundless childish enthusiasm…

2. July 23, 2020 at 6:32 am

Pig – Encore. Yes. Beautiful and striking and making not only a bold artistic statement but also providing a wonderful way to ask for a second helping of bacon.

• July 23, 2020 at 10:54 am

And there’s nothing better than a second helping of bacon…

3. July 23, 2020 at 8:11 am

At least it never became green with yellow spots! Hopefully, she feels it as an improvement. I used to print off a lot of clipart stuff from the BBC web site for my daughter to colour in, but I suspect half of your daughter’s fun was having dad draw something.

• July 23, 2020 at 10:55 am

She does enjoy the ‘commissioning’ of her templates…

4. July 23, 2020 at 11:40 am

This work reveals the artist’s deep passion and sensitivity. Using an intuitive and expressive painting process, each vivid stroke transforms the canvas into a luscious colorful surface bringing a sense of joy and harmony to an otherwise imperfect world.

5. July 23, 2020 at 2:37 pm

The artist has demonstrably matured in her brushstrokes (I was fortunate in being present to witness her stroking the brush) but, sadly, Social Services have now removed the yard brush as being a hazard to health. Meanwhile, those bold new sweeps of the felt tips have given Pig a slightly whimsical look. I like it!

• July 23, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Whimsical or not, I may need to remind you of the conditions of the restraining order…

• July 23, 2020 at 10:05 pm

I was the required distance away but have some new binoculars!

• July 23, 2020 at 10:07 pm

That’s perfectly acceptable then. Apologies for any distress I may have caused.

• July 23, 2020 at 10:39 pm

That’s quite alright. I like your new PJ’s by the way!

6. July 23, 2020 at 7:14 pm

I STILL see a little rabbit with dots in its ears… The colouring-in is good though…

7. July 23, 2020 at 10:58 pm

I am blown away by. Not only does the restructuring of this composition shake the fundamental equation of our existence to it’s very core, but radically redefines the entire meaning of the pig motif. Wha at first glance seem to be casual scribbles over the pigs nose become, on second glance, symbolic of a fence which entrapping the pig in bare and unsettling cage with little to console it beyond it’s own feces. As an obvious metaphor for the human race the questions posed by the placement of the pig are bold and unsettling. The yellow antenna like object over the pig’s left ear brings to mind alien spacecraft and surveillance, and brings us to that most uncomfortable of questions: are we alone?

While this updated, and admittedly much darker, depiction of the pig may unnerve some, the bold artistic genius behind it cannot be denied.

• July 24, 2020 at 5:08 am

Once again I believe you have raised the bar with you unparalleled insight

8. July 23, 2020 at 11:54 pm

You and your daughter have both developed a unique style – as all great artists do. I know, without question, that were “Pig”, or any other piece that you two have created together hanging somewhere in a gallery, I would instantly know that you two had been at it again. (I think Freud would have a lot to say about the way you draw eyes. Just an observation.)

• July 24, 2020 at 5:09 am

A shrewd observation I dare say